Wednesday 30 March 2011

This bird has flown

I noticed that this pub had a bit of a makeover recently, which of course meant a change of signboard. Gone is the old one, in the lush style that Greene King used briefly, including for the nearby (and now defunct) Rose and Crown. The colours could have been a lot brighter, but I rather liked it.
The ‘in hand’ bit has now been dropped, and its liberty is now celebrated with this cleaner, more ‘bistro’-style thing:
Now I may be mistaken here (rare, but not entirely impossible), but I thought the whole point of signboards was that they should be eye-catching and stand out from the crowd. There are so many brightly coloured birds out there, so why GK’s designers seem to have taken the well-camouflaged dunnock as inspiration for the colour scheme is a mystery to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment